Monday, January 9, 2012

Video Resources, Links, and Other Helpful Pieces of Information

In my last post I mentioned that there are video resources available for you to use to practice at home. Here is a summary of what I use (or have used in the past). This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but it's a good place to start.

Yoga Journal
Yoga Journal is one of the (if not the most) most well read yoga publications out there. Here is a link to their expansive collection of videos for your viewing pleasure.

Baron Baptiste
Baron Baptiste on DVD
Full confession: I go to Baptiste Power Yoga Institute in Cambridge. And I will admit that they weren't my default studio before I took on this month-long challenge. But if you want to learn yoga, or just follow a class on video, this is my best recommendation. He has produced a host of videos, many of which have been available for streaming on Netflix.

Here is a link to the online store. I purchased this one years ago to use while I travel. It includes three live sessions to choose from and each has a different length. And here is a review of the DVD.

Netflix
If you have a subscription to Netflix, this is a great place to test out a variety of videos. In fact, they have an entire genre of yoga. There are a few available for streaming (Crunch has a series which I haven't tried) and a wide selection for renting.

Hulu
If you don't know what Hulu is, you're missing out. As with most things, it used to be cool and has since turned into a subscription service (though many videos are available still for free). There are 150 pages of yoga videos and clips, along with several video channels dedicated to yoga. I can't say that all of them are worthwhile, but if you can find a few that you like you can save them to your favorites and avoid the search query every time.




Of course, you can always check out streaming videos from youtube, purchase videos on amazon (Gaiam has a good AM/PM series), or rent videos from blockbuster. With the popularity of yoga these days, it's all over health and fitness cable channels as well. The lesson is to find what works best for you and find a place to fit it into your routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment